Saturday, January 29, 2011

Concept Art

Generally, I don't do really polished or complex concept art. As it's only for myself, I don't have to make it all that detailed. I'm not following the "next gen" asset pipeline (high res sculpt for normal maps, low-poly models for in game). The way I'm doing it is more old-school. This works fine because I'm going for a simplistic, clean style that is low on detail. I generate all of my normal maps in GIMP with a handy plugin,. Is this the best way to do it? I have no clue as I've never created a game before.

Anyway, here are some quick thumbnail sketches I did in MyPaint for one of the NPCs that appear in the game. I worked from the lower right to the upper left - looking for a style that fits in with the rest of the game. I settled on the spiky-haired one with the check next to it. I like that he has that fat, happy cat look but still a bit feral. Yeah, it's not the spectacular concept art you see for most games but it doesn't have to be.

I'll probably do one more sketch to get the body shape worked out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment