Monday, January 3, 2011

Pulling Teeth

Some time ago I realized I had to do a proper design document or at least some sort of written plan for Zlythy, especially after hooking up with a coder. It's difficult to communicate ideas to another person, especially if they aren't clear in your own mind. Easier said than done.

 

It has been extremely difficult for me to know where to begin. This led to all the usual culprits that sabotage productivity: procrastination, inertia and fear. However, it was a bit more than simple procrastination. I wasn't sure where I was headed with this concept. Plus the concept was only half formed. It was one of those catch 22 sort of situations - my concept was only half formed but I couldn't make it more concrete because there wasn't enough there to coalesce into a complete idea. It doesn't help that I'm not the most organized person to begin with. I finally had a breakthrough though. I made an outline. It seem obvious now and more than a little absurd but it was a giant leap for me.

 

I really should have known better. Once you reach a refined stage with your concept, organization and planning, the execution becomes almost mechanical. It's called workflow. But I can't be too hard on myself, creativity can be hard, especially if you're trying to do something new and unfamiliar.

No comments:

Post a Comment